Sunday, December 19, 2010

Robyn and Best Dance Recording

Robyn
Previously, I ran my picks for Grammy nominations, and delightfully, about half/two-thirds (who?knows) of my picks were actually nominated. Some artists were nominated in the category I put them in but for a different work. There were some happy surprises, though, like Sara Bareilles's nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for "King of Anything," which I had hoped would be nominated for the category but had my doubts. She does an amazing job with it, but I do love the song itself, having retorted some of the lines myself before the song was ever released. I also had predicted Norah Jones's "Chasing Pirates" in the same category but forgot when I created my list.

Anyway, one of my favorite categories is Best Dance Recording. I love good electronic/dance music, and checking the nominees each year is always a fun way to find new stuff of quality. This year's nominees are:

Rocket

Goldfrapp
Alison Goldfrapp & Will Gregory, producers; Mark 'Spike' Stent, mixer
Track from: Head First
[Mute]

 

In For The Kill

La Roux
Elly Jackson & Ben Langmaid, producers; Serban Ghenea & John Hanes, mixers
Track from: La Roux
[Cherrytree/Interscope/Polydor/Big Life]

Dance In The Dark

Lady Gaga
Fernando Garibay & Lady Gaga, producers; Robert Orton, mixer
Track from: The Fame Monster
[Streamline/KonLive/Cherrytree/Interscope]

 

Only Girl (In The World)

Rihanna
Kuk Harrell, Stargate & Sandy Vee, producers; Phil Tan & Sandy Vee, mixers
[Island Def Jam]

 

Dancing On My Own

Robyn
Patrik Berger & Robyn, producers; Niklas Flyckt, mixer
Track from: Body Talk Pt. 1
[Konichiwa Records/Cherrytree/Interscope]


They are all phenomenal, of course, and I would urge anyone to experience them. There are even interesting tidbits on the nominations. All the tracks nominated are from female vocalists (a first for the category). Lady Gaga's "Dance in the Dark" was only released as a promo single, and Gaga is the only American nominated. Goldfrapp and La Roux are both female/male duos from the UK, while Robyn and Rihanna are soloists from Sweden and Barbados, respectively. Goldfrapp's Head First and La Roux's La Roux are nominated for Best Electronic/Dance Album, while Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster is nominated for Best Pop Vocal Album. Rihanna's "Only Girl (In The World)" is the most soulful we've heard her. "Rocket," "In For The Kill," and "Dancing On My Own" all play with a production sound reminiscent of the 80s.

If I were a member of the Academy, though, my vote for Best Dance Recording would be for Robyn's "Dancing On My Own." All the nominees sound amazing and perform in manners fitting their songs, but Robyn's performance is so honest to the point of vulnerability. Bravo! The listener can hear the internal tragedy conveyed through her voice. It is magical and does wonders for the track. Previously, I had investigated Robyn because of urgings from Facebook ads. I heard "Dancing on My Own" and "Hang With Me" and loved both of them, feeling like one of them will probably be nominated, but when it came time to pick my choice for nominations, I couldn't decide between the two and eventually forgot about it. I hadn't previously had time to really investigate much of her, though, due to schoolwork. Another track I really liked was "Handle Me." "Konichiwa Bitches" is an interesting listen with a hilariously crazy music video. Anyway, she's amazing and even had a stint of popularity in the US in the mid 90s with "Do You Know (What It Takes)" and "Show Me Love." Check her out!

No comments:

Post a Comment