Monday, July 30, 2012

Adventure #14: “Good [Time of Day]”

Why the heck do we greet each other with, “Good morning?” That’s not even a complete sentence! But maybe I hate it because I’m not a morning person. Whenever it's said to me, I typically don't respond, though I want to say, "Don't talk to me!" or "That's not my name!"

If you think about it, though, “Good morning/afternoon/evening/day” all are seen as appropriately interchangeable for greeting and departing. “Good night,” on the other hand, is only appropriate in departing (or metaphoric departing, like sleeping).

Of course, supposedly, all these greetings are wishings to the receiver, so to exchange, “Bad afternoon” or “Awful night” with someone, even as a reflection of one’s own condition, is seen as strange or rude. However, since “Good night” tends to be a token farewell, it is even angrily said when people are mad at each other…

No comments:

Post a Comment